Maximum API requests/ call?
What happens when I reach the API limit?
API limit for Chargebee Test environment.
What is the cost to use Chargebee's APIs?
Chargebee restricts API requests when you exceed the limits for your plan. The limiting mechanism is employed, considering two criteria:
- Requests per minute - Number of requests in the past 60 seconds.
- Concurrent requests - Number of requests at an instance of time.
Thresholds set for both test and live sites are as follows:
- Test sites: ~750 API calls per every 5 minutes
- Live sites: ~150 API calls per site per minute
When the upper limit is breached on either of the above criteria, an HTTP
429 error response is returned for subsequent requests. As a result, no more requests are served until the limit resets (in approximately a minute). For more details about error
429, refer to api_request_limit_exceeded in the Error Codes List.
Please note that a cooling period is set for both test and live sites.
- For test sites: five minutes from the time error
429 is thrown
- For live sites: one minute from the time error
429 is thrown
You must wait until the cooling period expires before making another API call. In addition, to avoid the
429 error, it is recommended that you separate each API request by at least one second.
If you need a temporary rate limit increase, contact Chargebee Support to have it increased. Furthermore, if you exceed your limit frequently, you should consider upgrading to a higher plan in order to accommodate the increase of your API request volume.