EU billing error
Chargebee collects the following address/location information as evidence of a customer's place of residence in adherence to the EU VAT location requirements. As a part of EU VAT Location Validation, Chargebee attempts to match the customer's billing country with either their IP address or their card issuing country (from the card BIN). If any of the validation fails you would see the above message.
If the issue is due to the IP address, then y the customer to update with a new payment method whose BIN matches the customer’s country using the Request Payment Method or ask the customer to update the payment method from Self-Serve Portal.
Chargebee's location validation as per EU VAT rules ensures that the right tax rules are applied. This validation is carried out both when a card is added and updated. Chargebee attempts to match the customer's billing country with either their IP address or their card issuing country (from the card BIN). Only when either of these pieces of evidence matches with their billing country, location validation is successful and the customer can complete their purchase.
Location validation in Chargebee can fail if there's a mismatch for the following validation
- IP Address
- Bank Identification Number (BIN)
1. If there is an IP mismatch, you would need to use Chargebee's Update a card payment source API and pass the correct IP address in the header of the request.
curl https://abcdef123-test.chargebee.com/api/v2/payment_sources/pm_1mkVvpLQxIB1zWJjL/update_card \
-u test_ghCDAkktDLXew4xTHTUdGR1zNGrawOtn: \
-H chargebee-request-origin-ip:18.104.22.168 \
2. If there's a mismatch between the Credit card BIN and the country of the user, you would need to contact the customer and ask them to update with a new payment method whose BIN matches the customer’s Country.
- The Request Payment Method option within the Customer or Subscription details page can be used to send customers an email with a secure link to update their payment details.
- You would need to use Chargebee's Update a Card Payment Source API and pass the correct IP address using the parameter card [ip_address]. The card IP address HAS TO BELONG TO the customer's billing or shipping address.
- If you've allowed the Self-Serve Portal via Chargebee login, they can update the payment information themselves by logging into their accounts.
If you want to charge the customer immediately and ignore the error, for now, you can turn "Auto Collection" off for the customer, select the invoice and click the "Collect now" option to manually collect the payment using the payment method on file.
- If "Auto Collection remains" off, all future invoices for the customer will also be generated in the "Payment Due" state and you will need to manually collect the payment each time (Location validation also would not occur for this customer),
- If you turn "Auto Collection" on after collecting the payment for the current invoice, you will get the same message until the next renewal as well and if by then the card BIN is not updated, the subscription will be canceled.
You can read more about the location validation here