Start a new topic

Adding a non-recurring subscription to a free plan

To collect card details I use Hosted Checkout Pages. Now, I have paid and free plans. And also paid addons (recurring and non-recurring).

Now, when someone is on a free plan and I don't have Credit Card details, then how do I collect their CC and also add the addon (recurring and non-recurring)? 

Hi there,

Let me make things a little bit clearer. Irrespective of whether the plan os free or paid the Chargebee hosted pages will collect payment details. 

So if you want to collect card details of a customer after you have already gathered the subscription details. You can collect the payment details by 

1.Going to Subscriptions>>Subscription

2.Go to the particular customer

3. On the right-hand side of the site, you will be able to see an option that says "Request Payment Method". Click on it

4. You can now edit the mail sent to the customer to collect this payment. And you hit send an email will be fired to the customer to add his payment details where he can add them.

5. On the came subscription details page you will have an option called " Change Subscription details" on the right-hand side. Click on it to make any changes to the subscription including adding add-ons

Refer the screenshot below

Hope this helps.

You can grab the HTML code for the addon along with the plan while setting up the hosted pages on your website

Let me make things a little bit clearer. Irrespective of whether the plan os free or paid the Chargebee hosted pages will collect payment details. 

Are you sure? or am I missing something. Using API, I added someone to free plan, cos I don't want to collect CC details if they want to remain on free plan. Now, if I want to add addon, how do I do it? can I generate hosted checkout page just for the addon? 

Hi there,

Using API, I added someone to free plan, cos I don't want to collect CC details if they want to remain on free plan. 

It is possible to create subscriptions via API without the card details as you will be passing the subscription details as parameters.Chargebee's checkout pages are primarily designed to collect card information in a secure way, considering you don't need to collect card information, you can do this by passing parameters via API.

Now, if I want to add addon, how do I do it? can I generate hosted checkout page just for the addon? 

Chargebee's checkout pages are plan specific, so a checkout page cannot be generated only using add-ons. However since you have a free plan, you can use the checkout existing API (Checkout page)  to include the addon with the free plan so that the customer is charged only for the add-on.

Is it not possible to invoice multiple addons at once? 

https://apidocs.chargebee.com/docs/api/invoices#create_invoice_for_addon

I need your help again. Consider these situations. 

1. I am on a free plan and I don't have payment info. When I try to generate hosted checkout page with the recurring addon and plan info provided, I get the error while generating the hosted page checkout () saying: InvalidRequestError('addon_id : Addon au-r-1000 cannot be applied as only non-recurring addons are supported'

2.  I am on a free plan and I don't have payment info. I can generate the hosted page checkout URL with an non-recurring addon. However, when I open the hosted checkout page, the page is blank and in the console I can see the error: "Non recurring addon cannot be added to a subscription changing at end of term."

How do I solve this issue? 

Hey Avinash

1. I am on a free plan and I don't have payment info. When I try to generate hosted checkout page with the recurring addon and plan info provided, I get the error while generating the hosted page checkout () saying: InvalidRequestError('addon_id : Addon au-r-1000 cannot be applied as only non-recurring addons are supported'

The create invoice for add-on API can be used to add only non-recurring add-ons and can invoice only one addon per API call. As the add-on you've configured is a recurring add-on, please use the Create subscription or update a subscription API passing the same plan_id and the add-on details. In case you need to replace the existing recurring add-ons the subscription (if any), please also pass replace_addon_list as "true". 

2.  I am on a free plan and I don't have payment info. I can generate the hosted page checkout URL with an non-recurring addon. However, when I open the hosted checkout page, the page is blank and in the console I can see the error: "Non recurring addon cannot be added to a subscription changing at end of term."

It's not possible to add a non-recurring addon during checkout existing subscription. You can add the addon on the admin console by using the Add Addon option or via the APIs using the Create Invoice for Addon API call.

I hope my answer helps! Have a nice day!

As the add-on you've configured is a recurring add-on, please use the Create subscription or update a subscription API passing the same plan_id and the add-on details. 

Subscription already exists, so how can I use Create Subscription? And I cannot use update subscription since I do not have payment details 

via the APIs using the Create Invoice for Addon API call.

I cannot use create invoice, since I do not have payment details

Hi Avinash

For both the above cases, if you're looking to charge an addon without payment details, 

1. You can either set the customer's Auto Collection "Off" and generate a 'Payment Due' invoice. This would be considered as an Offline Paying invoice for which payment is collected later or external to Chargebee.

2.Or, collect the customer's payment information first - either through the Hosted Pages APIs or through the Update Payment method pages and then apply the desired addons.

Login or Signup to post a comment