Start a new topic
Answered

Per-unit charge calculated daily, billed monthly?

If we are updating the number of units on a subscription daily and we want to charge a daily per unit rate, but invoice monthly, is that possible?

Best Answer

If you're updating the number of units on a subscription daily, it would generate a whole bunch of upgrade & downgrade emails as you observed, and prorated charges would be charged immediately, generating a new invoice every time the change is made. 

If you turn off proration to handle this, it would mean that the customer wouldn't be charged at all, for these unit changes. 

I'm sorry about it, at the moment, Chargebee is equipped to handle billing frequencies only of weekly/monthly/yearly durations. 

Hey Dobes, 

Apologies for the delay in responding. 

For this scenario, we feel Chargebee's metered billing would fit the bill. You'll have to track the rate changes in your end and at the end of every month, you can add these as accumulated usage charges to the subscription. Will this work for you?

It might work, I'll look at that.

I was also looking at the "per unit" billing.  If we were to increase / decrease the number of units on a daily basis, would chargebee pro-rate that in a sensible manner?  Or would we have some unwanted side effects?

What would happen if we updated the number of units on a subscription daily - would that generate a whole bunch of upgrade/downgrade emails?  Or could it just silently and intelligently pro-rate everything as it goes along?

Answer

If you're updating the number of units on a subscription daily, it would generate a whole bunch of upgrade & downgrade emails as you observed, and prorated charges would be charged immediately, generating a new invoice every time the change is made. 

If you turn off proration to handle this, it would mean that the customer wouldn't be charged at all, for these unit changes. 

I'm sorry about it, at the moment, Chargebee is equipped to handle billing frequencies only of weekly/monthly/yearly durations. 

Login or Signup to post a comment